Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health (ANSIRH), based at the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), is a leading research program that informs the most pressing debates on abortion and reproductive health.
At ANSIRH, we envision a world in which all people have the resources, support, and freedom to achieve reproductive wellbeing.
We conduct innovative, rigorous, multidisciplinary research on complex issues related to people’s sexual and reproductive lives. Our work is informed by an understanding of the role that structural inequities play in shaping health. We believe in the importance of research in advancing evidence-based policy, practice, and public discourse to improve reproductive wellbeing. Learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion here.
Our values are:
- Integrity: We are committed to conducting rigorous social science research with intellectual honesty.
- Collaboration: We use a multi-disciplinary approach, often in collaboration with scientific, healthcare, community, legal, and policy partners, to achieve our mission.
- Innovation: We embrace novel and forward-thinking approaches to answer complex research questions.
- Cultivation: We are dedicated to cultivating the next generation of talent in our field.
- Justice: We believe that reproductive wellbeing cannot be achieved without recognizing and challenging structures of inequity.
In the midst of a politically turbulent 2022, ANSIRH took time to mark its 20th anniversary and honor the legacy of our researchers, who believe deeply in the power of research to improve reproductive wellbeing for all.
Our 20th Anniversary was also a moment to re-commit to our work: to hold the line on science; to influence and shape policies, legal decisions, conversations, and culture on reproductive health; and, ultimately, to improve people’s lives through rigorous research and inquiry.
For a look back at our history, check out the video up top or scroll through this timeline of our milestones.