ANSIRH’s office has a library with almost every book published on the topic of abortion, as well as a digital library for journal publications related to abortion. As a way of trying to share it with you, we’ll periodically compile lists of books and articles we think will interest you. The most current list of ANSIRH’s suggested reading is detailed below; previous lists are archived as downloadable pdfs and include:
- Reading list on medication abortion (revised August 2009)
- Articles and books on abortion that were published in the peer-reviewed literature in 2008 (revised January 2009)
- Resources on the history of abortion, to mark the 36th anniversary of Roe v. Wade (revised December 2008)
We include this list in the orientation package for new ANSIRH staff. Please feel free to share it with your students or trainees who are interested in an introduction to reproductive health care.
Overview of abortion and abortion policy
- Center for Reproductive Rights. The World’s Abortion Laws (interactive map). 2015.
- Guttmacher Institute. An Overview of Abortion in the United States (slideshow). January 2014.
- Guttmacher Institute. An Overview of Abortion Laws (fact sheet). January 2015.
- National Abortion Federation. Clinical Aspects of Abortion.
Select research and policy articles
- Biggs, A., Gould, H. & Foster, D.G. (2013). Understanding why women seek abortions in the US. BMC Women’s Health, 13(29).
- Foster, D.G. & Kimport, K. (2013). Who seeks abortions at or after 20 weeks?Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. 45(4): 210-218.
- Freedman, L., Landy, U., Darney, P., & Steinauer, J. (2010). Obstacles to the integration of abortion into obstetrics and gynecology practice. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 42(3): 146-151.
- Joffe, C. (2013). The politicization of abortion and the evolution of abortion counseling. American Journal of Public Health, 103(1): 57-65.
- Jones, R. K., & Jerman, J. (2014). Abortion incidence and service availability in the United States, 2011. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 46(1): 3-14.
- Roberts, S.C., Gould, H., Kimport, K. (2014). Out-of-pocket costs and insurance coverage for abortion in the United States. Women’s Health Issues, 24(2)e211-218.
- Rocca, C., Kimport, K., Gould, H. & Foster, D. (2013). Women’s emotions one week after receiving or being denied an abortion in the United States. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 45(3): 122-131.
- Sedgh, G., Singh S., Henshaw, S., Bankole, A (2012). Induced abortion: Incidence and trends worldwide from 1995-1998. Lancet, 379: 625-632.
- Upadhyay, U., Weitz, T., Jones, R., Barar, R. & Foster, D.G. (2014). Denial of abortion because of provider gestational age limits in the United States. American Journal of Public Health, 104(9): 1687-1694.
- Weitz, T. A., Taylor, D., Desai, S., Upadhyay, U. D., Waldman, J., Battistelli, M. F., & Drey, E. A. (2013). Safety of aspiration abortion performed by nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, and physician assistants under a California legal waiver. American Journal of Public Health, 103(3): 454-461.
- Weitz, T. A. (2010). Rethinking the Mantra that Abortion Should be “Safe, Legal, and Rare.” Journal of Women’s History, 22(3): 161-172.
Abortion-related books by ANSIRH/UCSF Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health Experts
- Joffe, C. (2009). Dispatches from the Abortion Wars: The Costs of Fanaticism to Doctors, Patients and the Rest of Us. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- Joffe, C. (1995). Doctors of Conscience: The Struggle to Provide Abortion Before and After Roe v. Wade. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- Joffe, C. and Reich, J. (2015). Reproduction and Society: Interdisciplinary Readings (Perspectives on Gender). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Perrucci, A. (2012). Decision Assessment and Counseling in Abortion Care: Philosophy and Practice. Plymouth, UK: Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
- Freedman, L. (2010). Willing and Unable: Doctor’s Constraints in Abortion Care. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University Press.
- ANSIRH blog, Twitter feeds, and Facebook updates
- Guttmacher Institute
- Ibis Reproductive Health
- National Abortion Federation
- National Partnership for Women and Families: daily policy reports
- RH Reality Check (see, in particular, Reproductive Justice)
- Sister Song/RJ
- 1 in 3 Campaign